Integration Suite Editions
There are two available editions of the Field2Base Integration Suite, the Server Edition and the Designer Edition. Each edition has a 32 Bit and a 64 Bit version. We recommend using the 64 Bit for increased memory capability.
Note: You should never install both editions on the same PC as it could cause upgrade issues with future versions of the Integration Suite
The Server Edition is intended to only be installed on PCs that act as Servers or on actual Servers and will only install the DIM service and the Administrator Utility. This edition was created to provide customers with a version that can be installed in production environments allowing for a separation between project development and project deployment.
The Operating Systems compatible with the Server Edition include Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012.
The Designer Edition is intended to run on PCs and includes the DIM service, the Project Manager Utility and the Administrator Utility. This edition was created to provide customers with the ability to design and test their Integration Projects in a local environment before running production DIM projects on a server.
Due to the Microsoft Ink component being required to use the Project Manager, the only Operating Systems compatible with the Designer Edition are Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Note: The Designer Edition is intended to run on a PC and should never be installed on a Server.
Which Edition Should You Use?
Are you learning how to design and create your own Integration Projects?
Install the Designer Edition
Are you installing the components on a server where the Integration Projects are not going to be designed?
Install the Server Edition
Will you just be processing files locally on a PC without making changes to the Integration Projects?
Install the Server Edition
Will you be making changes to existing Integration Projects or creating Integration Projects in the future?
Install the Designer Edition
Compatible Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate Editions
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate Editions
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home and Pro Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition and Newer Versions
Hard Drive/Disk Space
- A Minimum of 1GB should be held in reserve for initial use with the DIM. Additional Disk Space may be required depending on the number of Tablets your Company has, the amount of Sent Forms that will processed, and your Company’s plans for Archiving.
The Data Integration Module has no additional requirements and is a lightweight service intended to efficiently process Form Data.
Note: The User Account with which you are installing the application needs to have Administrative privileges.
Steps for Installation
It is assumed that you have .NET Framework 4.5 or newer installed on your PC. If you need to download an installer for this component, you can download a version here.
- Select which DIM edition is appropriate for your company. Read the section on Integration Suite Editions for more details.
- Log in to the F2B Admin Portal Downloads page and download the appropriate edition.
- Run the downloaded .exe file.
- Click Next.
- Click Next.
- Click Install. The DIM may take a few minutes to install.
- Click Finish.
Activating the DIM
Once Installed, the DIM will need to be activated. Activation is the way we register our integration products when they are installed on a Device. Once installed, open the DIM Admin and do the following:
- Click on the Configuration Tab.
- Where prompted, enter in your F2B Admin Credentials. These credentials will need to have the Mobile Forms Admin role to have the correct access.
- Click Activate.
- When you see your Company ID show in the upper left, you've successfully activated the product.
Now that you have the DIM installed on your machine, Field2Base recommends that you take the precautionary step to exclude the DIM application from your Anti-Virus scanning and any other security software that may alter the installation.
The reason we recommend the exclusion is that Field2Base protects the code of our software using a process called obfuscation (which essentially encrypts the code) and unfortunately in this day and age, malware creators will often use a similar method to make their viruses harder to combat. Anti-Virus and Security Companies will flag the same obfuscation profile of our software and it results in our software being incorrectly identified as a security threat.
Since there are so many different Anti-Virus scanners and security software out there, we cannot provide the exact steps on how to exclude the software, but from our experience, it is typically found in the Settings for the software. You will then need to exclude the following folder depending on the Operating System (OS) version:
- 32 Bit OS: C:\Program Files\F2B Data Integration Module
- 64 Bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\F2B Data Integration Module
Service Network Access
Starting with version 6.2, the DIM Service now uses the standard HTTPS Port of 443 to communicate with our server to poll and download Sent Form data. New DIM Projects created in the DIM Project Manager will use this port by default.
If you want to upgrade your existing DIM Projects to use the updated port, you can manually upgrade the DIM Project in Notepad. If you need assistance with making such an update, please contact Technical Support for assistance.
If you do not want to upgrade your existing DIM Project to use this port, just remember to keep the previously setup HTTP (2001) and HTTPS (2443) Ports open to allow the DIM to continue to function correctly.
Ink and Handwriting Services for Servers
To ensure your DIM processes your Sent Form Data properly, there is an additional Windows component called the Ink and Handwriting Services that needs to be enabled on some versions of Windows Servers.
Note: If your machine is using Windows Server 2016, then this component is included and does not require any further action.
For older versions like Windows Server 2008 or 2012, you will need to follow the actions below to enable the Inking and Handwriting Services:
Windows Server 2008 and 2012
- Open the Server Manager
- Select the Features section
- Click the Add Feature option
- Select the Ink and Handwriting Services feature
- Click the Ink Support option
- Click the Next button
- Follow the rest of the Feature Wizard instructions
Windows Server Earlier Versions
- You will need to install the Microsoft Tablet PC SDK. Please submit a ticket with our Support Team if you need the TabletPCSDKsetup.exe file.
In order to use the DIM application, you must have access to download your company's Sent Form Data on the server. If you do not have access, you can contact your Field2Base Account Manager for help.