This document walks through the process of configuring the Data Upload Utility (DUU) already installed on your Company’s PC or Server to automatically upload Form Data Files to the Field2Base Cloud.
The Configuration Tab is the first thing you will see when opening a fresh install of the DUU. It is the tab that facilitates product activation. You will need to log in here using a Company ID, Username and Password with Mobile Forms Admin permissions in order for the service to work. Once the DUU is activated, a unique key is generated and listed in the "Activation ID:" part of the Configuration Tab.
Before you proceed with configuring the DUU, the following elements that drive the processing of the DUU need to be known:
- The Directory or Folder Location(s) where the Form Data Files will be placed for upload
- The Data Upload Service Account Login credentials for your Company
If you do not have these two elements defined, do not proceed any further.
Continuing in the order you would set up the DUU, the next tab you encounter would be the Setup Tab. The Setup Tab is where you configure the incoming and archive directories. You can upload to the Company ID you activated with in the Configuration Tab, or upload Data Files to multiple destinations should you desire. We'll touch more on this later.
Configuring a Directory
1. Go to the Setup tab.
2. Click the Add Directory button.
3. Click the Browse button under Incoming Directory
4. Browse to the folder location you want the DUU to scan for files to be uploaded and click OK. This is known as the Incoming Directory.
Next, just as with the incoming Directory, you will need to set up the Archive Directory. The Archive Directory is where files that have been processed and uploaded are stored.
5. Click the Browse button under Archive Directory.
6. Browse to the folder location where you would like to store archived files and click OK.
The finished Directory configuration should look something like this.
Setting up the DUU Service Account
Now that you have set up the first Directory that is being watched, you will need to set the Destination. This is the target Company where the DUU will be uploading the Form Data File.
1. Select the ‘Upload to the activated company’ checkbox if you have already activated your Company (under the Configuration tab). Alternatively, you can click on the Add a manually configured destination button and enter the Company credentials to set a different Destination.
2. Click the Apply button to save your Configuration.
NOTE: Remember that each time you update anything on the Configuration tab, you will need to click the Apply button for it to be saved.
NOTE: For this example, we are using a Test Company (Company ID: 3136). You should use your own Company credentials.
The Service Tab is simply a User Interface that turns on and off the DUU Service, which is called the "F2B Data Upload Service" in Windows. You can Start, Stop, or Restart the service from the Service Tab in the DUU or using services.msc in Windows.
Start the Service
1. On the Service tab, click the Start button.
2. After starting the Service, you will want to check to make sure the service has started correctly. To do so, navigate to the Logs tab. You should see “Upload Service Started” if the Service has started correctly. Any files that have been successfully uploaded will also be shown in the Logs.
The Logs Tab
The Logs Tab is responsible for displaying the logs of what the DUU is processing. Not only does it tell you when the Service starts and stops, but it also shows successful uploads or errors, should something go wrong.
Additional Configuration Options
Now that you’ve created a single Directory and Destination, let’s take a moment and expand that to include multiple Destinations and Directories.
To Add Multiple Directories
1. Select the Uploads branch at the top of the tree in the left window and click the Add Directory. You’ll notice this creates a new Directory listing on the left awaiting the specification of the incoming and Archive Directories.
2. Select additional Directories by browsing, just as before. You can create any number of different Directories to be monitored or set for archiving.
To Create Multiple Destinations under a Directory
Companies are specified underneath the Directories you have set up. You can have the DUU upload to multiple Companies (Destinations) by setting up additional Destinations under a single Directory.
1. Select a Directory and click the Add a manually configured destination button.
2. Enter the Company credentials for the additional Destination.
3. Click Apply.
Once you have configured multiple Directories and/or Destinations, you should check the DUU Logs to confirm that any files in those Directories have been uploaded as expected.
To Create Folder Specific Form Data files
This feature is only available in the newest version of the DUU 6.5.9. You can now specify which Folder a Form Data file should be associated with instead of always associating them company-wide. This allows you, as the User, to download the Form Data file from your account on your Device if you have access to the Folder it is associated with.
- Create Folders in Windows to keep all the Form Data files organized. Our recommendation is to match the naming of the Windows folders to the Folders in the Portal to ensure the Form Data files are uploaded to the correct Folder in the Portal.
Open the DUU Admin Utility application.
Go to the Setup tab.
Click on Uploads on the main screen and select the Add Directory
button on the right hand side of the Setup menu.
Click the Browse button under Incoming Directory
(right hand side of the Setup menu) and select the appropriate Windows folder from step 1 above that has the Form Data files that you want the DUU to look at.
Set up the Archive Directory by following the steps listed in the Configuring a Directory section above.
Now that you have set up the Directories, you will need to set the Destination (target Company) where the DUU will be uploading the Form Data File(s) to.
- Select the ‘Upload to the activated company’ checkbox on the right hand side of the Setup menu if you have already activated your Company (under the Configuration tab of the DUU Admin Utility application). You can click on the "Add a manually configured destination" button and enter the Company credentials to set a different Destination, if need be.
- Click on your Company id on the main screen.
- Click on the Select Association dropdown (right hand side of the Setup menu) to select the Folder in the Portal where you want the DUU to publish the Form Data file(s) to.
- Once each Incoming Directory has the associated Folder selected, click the Apply button in the bottom left corner of the Setup menu.
- The DUU service will restart. You should check the DUU Logs to confirm that all files in the Incoming Directories have been uploaded as expected in the DUU as well as in the Portal. See the images below.
DUU Administrator Utility
As a final note, don't forget about the Refresh Button. The Refresh Button is a button whose sole purpose is to refresh the information in all of the tabs previously showcased. If you are waiting for a Form Data File to upload and don't see the logs telling you that has happened, you can refresh the page using this button.
Congratulations! You've now configured the Data Upload Utility for your Company.